Friday, July 27, 2012

Jena Wayt Week 4 Reading

Friday, July 27, 2012


WK4 Reading - The Art of Possibility



As teachers, we inspire creativity and individuality in our students. We create the framework of possibility in their lives. Is it a simple task? NO! Sometimes it is a very hard task to get students to step out of their “comfort zones” and try something new, challenging, different. This weekend I saw a couple of my old students. They have just completed their first year of college. I started teaching them their freshman year of high school as a substitute and followed them off and on as their sub through their Sr. year. It was during their 10th grade year that I became their permanent substitute due to the original teacher becoming ill and passing away. It was a very traumatic year for them. One of the students was the teacher’s cousin. It was my first time to be in charge of everything in the classroom including lesson plans. I LOVED IT!! But the most important part was helping my students create a new framework of possibility. I made mistakes and they made mistakes, but we learned together. I was allowed to be their teacher from August to the end of October when a certified teacher was hired. I really missed seeing those students everyday and interacting with them, but I was still a substitute in the school and saw them almost every week. Our hearts had connected. In September of their 11th grade year, their teacher became ill and I became their permanent sub again until December. I was so excited to be in their lives again on a daily basis and create a new framework of possibility with them. I supported them in their school activities, band, football, baseball, fund raisers, etc. They became my children. From time to time, I get to see them and visit with them. I so enjoy the big hugs and smiles exchanged during those brief moments. This weekend was one of them. I was leaving a movie and 3 of them were sitting on a bench waiting for their movie to start. I heard, “Mrs. Wayt!” and turned to see their smiling faces. We hugged and chatted about their first year of college and what the future holds. I could’ve stayed there talking to them forever, but had to go. As we parted, hugs were given again and “I love you, Mrs. Wayt! Your were my favorite teacher!” I don’t think it was because they learned a lot of book knowledge from me. I think it was because I inspired possibility, encouraged them to create new frameworks, realizing their dreams. When I think of those students, I always see the spark in their eyes, “shining eyes,” as we broke down the barriers the world had given us, dreamed, reached for the limitless possibilities, and soared. 

1 comment:

  1. Jena that is so inspiring to read. These are the kinds of memories I think all children should take away from the learning environment. My wish is that I had some of those same types of inspiring stories from my high school teachers, junior high or even elementary teachers but I don't. I did have some teachers that left footprints in spirit for various reasons but overall my school years were not that great. I loved learning because I developed it early on at home and church an despite those very few who didn't quite light a spark in me in school I did have it lite in me at home so it balanced out in the end. However many of my students don't get that same love and attention at home today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment